Monday, September 3

in my studio and our birthday boy. . .



the sparrows post is up and running! exciting news for those of us waiting for candice to finally start a blog. this week she is having people give a link to their blog and post about what is in their studio.
for me my studio was burried with the start of teaching again this fall, every little detail to finish before the first day.
then i have been working madly towards a book deadline this week. all the gorgeous colors of wool roving from ornamentea are everywhere, the beads are piling up in these vintage childrens bread pans and my desk has many layers of beads, strings, baubles, fabrics, glitter, pliers, glue, pins, notes, designs, (not even the whole list) i barely have room to move.
then this week we are celebrating the 11th birthday for my favorite (and only) son!! happy birthday burke.
i took this series of pictures of him when we went to goblin valley this summer. southern utah has the most amazing red rocks in the world. goblin valley is a huge valley of red rock sculptures that have eroded away into the weirdest formations called hoodoos.
this is his amazing jump. . .




you can get an idea how huge the hoodoos are when you see how small burke is in this picture.
we picked blackberries and raspberries at the farm today for his birthday cheesecake. i suggested to the farmer he should round the amount on the scale up a bit as i admitted we ate quite a few while picking and the darling old man said 'good, i would have wondered if you hadn't'

i love people like that.

9 comments:

candice Elton said...

If your book looks anything like those photos it will be gorgeous. Happy Birthday Burke.....that was quite a jump. wish I still had super powers!!!!!
Candice

Beehive Art Salon said...

Quit your day job and become a photographer Julie. You always take the most amazing pictures! I have a birthday boy this week too...good luck on your book--I can't wait to see the finished product!
amanda

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Wow, what a perfect adventure for a boy. Great shots.
Happy Birthday Burke!
My babies birthday is this week as well.

Kari said...

Gorgeous colors and WOW what a jump!!! Happy Birthday to your son:)
Kari

Miss*Laurence said...

Lovely felt colours, they are really fresh, a lot less "man-made" than usual. a shame it is not very economial from where I am. The jump sure looks impressive, even more so on the first picture!

Miss*Laurence said...

Since I really like what you do, I've decided to tag you ( although you don't have to do it) the rules are on my post:
http://editionslm.typepad.com/be_crafty_be_happy/
2007/09/7-shall-be-the-.html
read you soon!

MarilynH said...

i loooove goblin valley!! we went there in 04 and we kept quoting Galaxy Quest lines the whole time (ya know, cuz it was filmed there LOL)
YOur colorful pictures in this post are beautiful!!!

Denise S. said...

Oh my I just read on someone elses blog that you went to Art & Soul in Portland. I went too.my first time ever doing anything like this. Whose classes did you take?

Anonymous said...

Hope he had a wonderful birthday :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...